Thursday, January 30, 2014

Come Visit Me!!

You guys! The mattress! It is here and undamaged! And it only took us four freakin' months, but I think our guest room is now finally in a state where I wouldn't be totally embarrassed to have overnight guests.


Like I said in my last post, the room is about 90% ready to roll, but since we started with this:


And this:


I'm pretty satisfied with 90%.

We bought the mattress from Macy's, which actually surprised me. The husband and I popped over there on a whim one day while we were in the neighborhood and ended up finding a Simmons Beautyrest that was reasonably priced and not terribly uncomfortable. I also had a few gift cards and some store credit that I had been hoarding so we ended up getting it for under $500. Oh, and I should also add that we have a platform bed frame for this room which negated the need for a box spring and therefore significantly reduced the cost as well.


We didn't want to spend too much money getting this room in order so I tried to make do with what we had. All of the furniture you see in this room was used in our bedroom until we upgraded to our king set last year. The duvet cover was also originally for our bedroom, but we didn't love it and ultimately decided to find a different one for our own room (more on that in another post).

What else, what else. The curtains, sheets and pillows are all from Anna's Linens, a place that I had never heard of until we moved to Charlotte. Holy crap, this place is amazeballs. The curtains aren't super high quality stuff, but they were $10 for each panel and for a guest room that won't be seeing a ton of traffic, it was perfect. And the sheets (a set of two cost us $15) are actually super soft and I am contemplating buying a set for our own bed as well.

The table lamps were from Walmart (I know, we are super classy folks over here) and everything else you see in the room we already had. This is the first time we've ever had enough room for a real guest room (pretty sure blowing up an air mattress and throwing it on the living room floor doesn't count) so I am probably more excited than I should be about this room.

We were originally going to have some visitors in mid-February, but unfortunately that fell through. Which actually is kinda good because we still have a few problems areas in this room. Mainly, this stack of unpacked boxes that the husband REFUSES to deal with:


Oh and I need to somehow bribe him into hanging up this wall art for me because I am too short to do anything useful around this place.


Yes, I will take the price sticker off before I hang it up. Maybe. I snagged this at TJ Maxx on super clearance for six bucks and am still so proud of myself that I'm just not ready to take the price off yet.

I'm also dying to complete this Pinterest project to hang above the bed:


But we'll see how motivated I'm feeling in the next few weeks. In the meantime, I'm just basking in the glory of having a real guest room for the first time in my adult life. Now don't make me regret putting all of this effort into it... Come visit me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment