Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Christmas Decorations and Obsessions

Since we decided to forego a Christmas tree this year I went above and beyond with the rest of the decorations. I prefer subtle touches over in-your-face lights and tinsel so I spread just a little bit of holiday decor throughout the apartment. 

I started with the foyer. The dresser, which usually accumulates mail, sweaters and other various junk was adorned with a small basket filled with ornaments that weren't being used. I also picked up two candle holders from The Christmas Tree Shop and filled them with pine-scented candles to make up for not having a tree.




This was the first year that I participated in a holiday card exchange with some of my blogger friends so I was forced to reevaluate how to display cards this year.


I usually just run some ribbon across the back of an empty frame and tape my 4-5 cards to the ribbon. This year there were WAY too many cards for that so I arranged a majority of them into the shape of a tree and taped them up on the kitchen wall.


The rest of the kitchen remained decoration free, except for a little snowman who made his way onto our stove.


Two other snowmen are nestled together on a side table in our living room.


I have some special ornaments that I was sad about leaving in their boxes all winter so I took the top off a shoebox, covered it in wrapping paper and poked some holes in the bottom so I could "hang" my ornaments from it. I took down a photo of Luna that we normally having hanging there and replaced it with my makeshift ornament holder.


I hung our stockings with care from... Our living room window. What? We don't have a fireplace so I figured this was the next best thing. Finally, the closest we had to a Christmas tree this year is my grandmother's ceramic tree that she made many, many years ago. It's better than nothing and Luna enjoyed chewing on the star so everybody wins.


Oh and because I'm an asshole who enjoys torturing their pet I bought some Santa clothes her. She didn't approve of the hat, but I was able to get the scarf on with only minimal complaints.


Happy Holidays and Happy Decorating!

No comments:

Post a Comment