Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Simplify: Two of Thirty

Okay, so I am totally cheating on this simplify my life thing, but whatever. I did something even more liberating than canceling my gym membership. I deleted my Facebook account. 


I had been thinking about it for a while and even started downsizing it a bit by removing "friends" (aka people I've spoken to in over five years and don't plan on speaking to ever again) and taking down content. And the more I started to do that, the more I realized that I just didn't want to be associated with it at all anymore. I spent way too much time just scrolling through my feed reading pointless updates from people I barely keep in touch with anymore. The people who are active in my life visit with me in person or keep in touch with me through phone calls, texts and emails. So why exactly did I have Facebook?

I think Facebook can be a great way to keep in touch with people and I will admit that I am a bit upset about no longer seeing baby pictures of my cousin who lives in Ohio. But is that reason enough to remain a member of a site that sucked up way too much of my already limited free time and stressed me out with drama, political rants and grammatical errors? I mean, there were times when it even interfered with my life off of the computer. I can't tell how many times I found myself in a conversation that started with, "Ohmigosh, did you see what so-and-so posted on Facebook?" No more.

I took some time to outweigh the pros and cons and it was a no brainer. Now I'm not instilling a lifelong ban on myself or anything, but my account has been deleted completely so if I do decide to rejoin the site I will be giving myself a fresh start. In the meantime, I don't regret my decision and am amazed by how freeing it feels. Honestly, I'm disappointed that I let myself get so absorbed in something as silly as a social networking site, but we all have our flaws and I am taking this time to learn what social networking really means to me. I do think this hiatus from Facebook (whether it be permanent or temporary) has simplified my life so it's going on the list!

Have you ever thought about deleting your Facebook account?

No comments:

Post a Comment